PICSI is a new method for the selection of mature sperm with better morphology, low chromosomal abnormalities and significantly better fertilization capacity.
Mature sperm bind to hyaluronic acid via specific receptors located on the membrane. The bound sperm lose their progressive mobility, although their tails make frequent active oscillations. Immature sperm do not bind to the surface of hyaluronic acid micro droplets and continue to move freely.
PICSI method is a breakthrough in the treatment of infertility through the use of ART.
Indications for PICSI:
- Low level of fertilization after ICSI
- Decreased rates in the HBA test (Hyaluronan binding assay)
- Low sperm count
- Poor development of embryos in previous cycles
- Frequent miscarriages of a couple undergoing treatment
- The age of female patient is over 35 years